A contractor hit a gas line in Highland Park Village this morning, prompting the evacuation of businesses in the center, Highland Park DPS officials said.
While working in front of the Tom Thumb, a contractor hit a main line, said DPS spokeswoman Marty Nevil. Utility officials are en route to fix the line; customers and employees from surrounding businesses are staging at the Centennial shop.
“We’re currently making sure we’re keeping everyone safe, and we’re asking folks to avoid the area,” Nevil said.
Car and pedestrian traffic in the area have been diverted, and children at nearby Bradfield Elementary are being kept indoors. All gas meters in the Village have been cut off, Nevil said, but the leak continues.
It is unknown if there are any injuries at this time.
Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.
UPDATE: As of 10 a.m., the gas leak has been shut off, Nevil said.