University Park Home Spouts Flames

A fire of unknown origin erupted in University Park earlier this morning. Photo Courtesy of Chad Ruback

University Park spokesman Steve Mace said the city collaborated with Dallas and Highland Park fire departments to fight a 2-alarm fire at 4436 Glenwick Lane. Mace said the call came in around 11:30 a.m., when the owner returned home from the store to find smoke billowing out of the roof. She called 911 and firefighters responded immediately. There were no injuries reported, but Mace suspects the smoke, flame, and water damage to the home will be substantial.

“Firefighters did an excellent job of fighting the fire and knocking it down,” Mace said, noting that the home to the east was unaffected by the flames.

UPDATE: Both families —the home was a duplex — will be displaced, according to UP Fire Chief Randy Howell. At the scene, firefighters carried out bags of clothes and memories as neighbors milled about. The smell of fire hung along Glenwick more than an hour after the fire was extinguished by 25 firefighters. – Bradford Pearson

3 thoughts on “University Park Home Spouts Flames

  • April 23, 2012 at 2:39 pm
    Permalink

    I could smell smoke around lunchtime and was looking to see where it was coming from.

    Reply
  • April 24, 2012 at 1:10 pm
    Permalink

    The family living on the second floor had just moved in two weeks earlier – mother, son (18 HPHS) and daughter (10 Bradfield.) They were uninsured. A fire recovery fund has been set up at Wells Fargo Bank. Carol Seay is the trustee.

    Donations can be made by using any of the following three names at any Wells Fargo branch:

    “Pinedo Fire Recovery Fund” OR
    “Carol Seay, Trustee” OR
    “Account No. 9017295040”

    Thank you in advance for getting this information to the Park Cities families.

    Reply
  • April 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm
    Permalink

    I should mention further that since the fire spread from the first floor to the attic, the firemen had to remove the entire ceiling to the second floor – meaning that the family’s possessions were covered in 4 to 6 inches of soot, burned wood, insulation, water and foam. Basically a total loss.

    I should further mention that the fire department and red cross were outstanding.

    Reply

Leave a Reply to Gringo Bling Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *