It comes as no surprise that a town with the word “park” in its name would be filled with lush spaces. From the town’s inception, parks were a crucial element of the development, with around 20 percent of the original townsite designated parkland. Today, the town’s Park Department maintains 22 different locations, ranging in size from multi-acred lots to tiny slices of land. Here we take a look at the parks’ namesakes. Check out a photo-gallery tour of the parks here.
Connor Park (5)
W.O. Connor served as the town’s second mayor, from 1914 to 1915. The Connor family willed the majority of their farm to the town, so this park is a tribute to their generosity.
Prather and Flippen Parks (7, 2)
When Highland Park’s founder, John Armstrong, conceived the town’s layout, he enlisted son-in-law Hugh Prather to assist him in attracting Beverly Hills’ landscape architect. Although Armstrong died before he could see his vision realized, his sons-in-law Prather and Edgar Flippen carried his dream out, and a park was named after each.
Davis Park (8)
Henry Roberts Davis served as the town’s fourth mayor, from 1920 to 1924.
Abbott, Fairfax, and Douglas Parks (14, 1, 3)
These parks are named because of their proximity to the streets that border them. John Armstrong’s wife, Alice, named Abbott Street after classical scholar Dr. Frank Abbott, so the park that borders the street shares his name, too.
Bartholow Square (9)
This plot of land by Town Hall is actually a triangle, formed by Gillon and Eton Avenues. It’s named for former councilman J.W. Bartholow, who was influential in preventing the town from being annexed by the city of Dallas.
Lockart Park (12)
This park is dedicated to James E. Lockart, a councilman and a master of the Highland Park Lodge.
Dyckman Park (11)
This small park is named for W.A. Dyckman, an early civic leader.
Cave Park (13)
Dr. Harrison B. Cave came to Dallas from Missouri in the 1890s and settled on Abbott Street in the early 1900s. An active Mason, he served as a master of the Highland Park Lodge.
Lakeside Park (4)
This park isn’t named for a historic figure, but the lake that follows it is. In 1890, Henry Exall, built the dam across Turtle Creek, forming Exall Lake.