It’s the moment of truth this weekend for seven Highland Park wrestlers who will compete at the Class 4A state wrestling meet in Garland after leading the Scots to a team title at the Region III meet two weeks ago. The first-round matchups for the Scots today have been set:
- At 126 pounds, Matt Kroencke (21-12) will face Frisco Centennial’s Roman Rose (38-3).
- At 132 pounds, Keegan Martin (21-7) will face Frisco Centennial’s Corbin Huxley (25-7).
- At 145 pounds, Stephen Dieb (26-2) will face Rio Grande City’s Valentin Cantu (36-5).
- At 152 pounds, Jackson Stafford (29-7) will face Austin Vandegrift’s Brent Peterson (29-6).
- At 160 pounds, Connor Creek (26-4) will face El Paso Hanks’ Joseph Huerta (31-5).
- At 182 pounds, Christian Lorenzoni (18-10) will face El Paso Jefferson’s Hugo Gutierrez (36-5).
- At 195 pounds, Michael Thornton (32-5) will face Frisco Centennial’s Austin Vonderheid (21-22).
There are 16 wrestlers in the bracket of each weight class, with most of the consolation matches and finals set for Saturday.