Late Show: Corwin, Scots Blow Past Horn

Highland Park’s Finn Corwin posted 205 receiving yards and scored four touchdowns during Friday’s win over Mesquite Horn. (Photo: Melissa Macatee)

Highland Park players and coaches were out well past midnight on Friday night, but the Scots didn’t get in any trouble.

Following a lengthy weather delay, HP found enough late-night energy to hold off Mesquite Horn 35-18 at Highlander Stadium for its 17th consecutive victory and second in as many weeks over a Class 6A opponent.

Finn Corwin caught four touchdown passes from Chandler Morris as the Scots offense continued its efficient progression under the new quarterback. And the HP defense tallied eight sacks — one of which resulted in a safety — to go with two first-half interceptions.

“I was so proud of the hustle and the endurance that our football team has,” said HP head coach Randy Allen. “These were adverse conditions. It takes discipline to stay focused. They bounced back.”

The Jaguars (0-2) couldn’t seem to cover Corwin, who accumulated 205 yards on nine receptions overall. Corwin, the top returning receiver from last year’s team, had just one catch in the season-opening win over Rockwall.

Meanwhile, Morris was sharp again, completing 21 of 32 throws for 312 yards. In addition to the four touchdown passes, he also ran for 32 yards and a score.

Inclement weather delayed the kickoff for more than two hours, but didn’t seem to curtail HP’s focus. On the second play from scrimmage, Morris found a streaking Corwin over the middle for a 63-yard score.

“Finn is a tough competitor, and a guy you can really count on in big games,” Allen said. “Finn got open, and Chandler found him.”

HP’s Brock Bakich intercepted a pass near midfield on the ensuing Horn possession. Andrew Bonnet also picked off a pass in the second quarter.

Following another delay, the Scots (2-0) took a 13-0 lead on a 3-yard touchdown plunge by Morris.

Horn cut the margin to 13-6 midway through the second quarter on a 36-yard touchdown run by Ben Hicks that followed one of several personal foul penalties on HP. The Scots now have 182 penalty yards through two games.

However, HP stretched the advantage to 26-9 after Corwin’s 42-yard scoring catch early in the third quarter. He also grabbed a 43-yard touchdown to put the game away in the fourth.

While the Jaguars struggled to move the ball on offense, their only second-half touchdown came on a 60-yard punt return by N’Kowsi Emory.

The Scots added a safety when Prince Dorbah sacked Horn quarterback Jermaine Givens in the end zone. It was one of six sacks after halftime for the aggressive HP defense.

“They played great. They were out there a long time because we couldn’t run the ball very well,” Allen said. “That quarterback is such a threat to score, and for the most part we bottled him up.”

HP will have a short week to prepare for its first road test of the season, and its final nondistrict game, against fellow 5A powerhouse Frisco Lone Star. The game is slated for 7 p.m. Thursday at Frisco Memorial Stadium.

Share this article...
Email this to someone
Share on Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Share on LinkedIn

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.