Valley View Demolition is Complete
Demolition of what once was Valley View Mall is now complete.
Property owner Scott Beck held a press conference May 23 to announce the first phase of development for the site — a six-story structure that will include 26,000 square feet of retail space and 275 luxury residential units at Dilbeck Lane and Preston Road.
“The final demolition and clearing of the Valley View site is an important step in the fulfillment of the vision set forth over 10 years ago by our city leaders, chamber of commerce, the development community, and neighbors,” City Councilwoman Jaynie Schultz said.
Anthem Development, the joint venture firm Beck created with developers Ross Frankfurt and Will McNutt, will begin seeking permits for this phase within the next 90 to 120 days. They will also use the Dallas Development Services’ specialized Q Team to expedite the review of their plans.
Progress on the Dallas International District — around the former Valley View Mall area — includes the following:
- The city’s purchase of Prism Center at 5580 Peterson Lane in early 2021 to anchor the new International District, housing the French Trade Office and the European American Chamber of Commerce Texas.
- Dallas ISD purchased a building for the first pre-K through 12 International STEAM Academy, which is expected to open in 2025.
- Workforce Solutions will be opening an office in fall 2023.
- Friends of The Commons have begun fundraising in support of the city’s plans for a 20-acre park: Dallas International Commons.
- Montford Road is under construction to provide safe and pedestrian-friendly complete streets with wide sidewalks, bike lanes, and streetscape improvements.
- The North Central Texas Council of Governments granted $10 million to plan a regional transportation innovation zone to pilot automated systems.
- City-sponsored Dallas International quarterly Night Markets are held to unite neighbors through multicultural food, music, and art. (The next one is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 9 from 4 to 11 p.m.
- The European American Chamber of Commerce Texas and Galleria Dallas hosted Experience Europe in May 2023 with wine, food, and entertainment.
“The vision of the Dallas International District is to be a new regional downtown that thousands of people call home, thousands more are employed, and thousands more come from across North Texas to visit as a global meeting place whether in the park, our international restaurants, and shop at Galleria Dallas,” Schultz said.
Bethany Erickson, senior digital editor at our sister publication, D Magazine, and our former digital editor, has more below.
(READ: Valley View Mall Is Finally Gone, the Fires Are Out, and Development May Be Coming)