Several commenters (online and in-person) have alluded to the idea that ESD added State Sen. Royce West to their defense team because he was buddy-buddy with Judge D’Metria Benson.
I decided to do a little digging on this theory. Here’s what I’ve found. West has not contributed a dime to Benson’s campaigns for county judge according to campaign finance records dating back to 2007. However, he did endorse Benson in her 2006 re-election campaign.
Perhaps a more interesting factiod is that the following attorneys/law firms involved in the civil lawsuit against ESD have contributed funds:
1. Charla Aldous, $500, 2/23/11
2. Chrysta Castaneda, $100, 10/6/10
3. Lisa Blue Baron, $2,000, 10/13/10
4. Locke, Lord Bissell & Liddell, $500, 5/4/10
5. Stephen Malouf, $1,000, 7/6/09