Loving You, A Poem From Lucy To Papa

I remember our last moment, right before you said goodbye, I looked at you, and you looked at me while tears filled up in your eyes.

I know it’s hard to understand and I would have loved to stay, But at some point, our name is called, and mine was called today.

I’m grateful for your loving care until the very end, Your choice, however difficult, proves that you were heaven-sent.

For nothing speaks of tender love and sacrifice to me, Than one who’s heart was crumbling and yet still set me free.

The human term of “putting me down” is wrong, it is releasing, You gave me the most precious gift when you granted me peace.

So I will wait at the Rainbow Bridge until we meet again, And then it’s licks and tail wags for you, the best of friends.

I Love You, Papa,

Lucy

Submitted by James, “That guy with the dog” in Highland Park

11 thoughts on “Loving You, A Poem From Lucy To Papa

• June 23, 2020 at 9:22 pm

Lucy is well known in the Park Cities. She has brightened so many days with her cheery, regular walks and friendly “Poppa James” in tow. She will be greatly missed. A neighborhood feels like a really wonderful neighborhood because of people like James and their special, precious pets like Lucy walking by and saying hello to whoever is lucky enough to cross paths. Her holiday attire made the Christmas season special too in the area. We will miss her so much. What a lovely, warm tribute to Lucy, but also this poem represents love and kindness shown to a special rescued furry friend. Thank you to people like her “Poppa James” for rescuing a such a sweet soul and then spreading her joy around the neighborhood. Lucy will never be forgotten.

• June 24, 2020 at 12:49 am

I will always remember Lucy laying in the grass around her University Park home and enjoying the breeze. She and James spent many evenings outside enjoying the sunset and greeting our community. Her friendly face and wagging tail will be greatly missed.

• June 24, 2020 at 8:11 am

Lucy was a wonderful girl. She was always friendly and really enjoyed her walks with James. Lucy was an ambassador of the neighborhood. I know she meant so much to James and I’m very sorry for her loss. She will be greatly missed.

• June 24, 2020 at 10:41 am

What a great photo of Lucy and a heartfelt poem. We are so sorry for your loss, James. Lucy was a terrific pet and friend who will be missed.

• June 24, 2020 at 11:34 pm

Sweet Lucy welcomed my Mavis to the neighborhood when she first came to live with us. Lucy was always a welcome sight when our paths would cross – such a gentle girl. We will miss her so much.

• June 25, 2020 at 8:21 am

I have known James for over 30 years and I remember well when he went further north in Texas to get Lucy as a rescue dog.

During their years living in the Park Cities the two of them brought much joy to nearby neighbors in their community on their daily walks and while “camping“ in tree shade.

Lucy, I’m sure, will be fondly remembered by many of those she touched along the streets west of SMU and north of Mockingbird.

• June 25, 2020 at 1:45 pm

What a beautiful poem and photo!

Our lawn was one of Lucy’s favorites as she would stop and rest on our grass while on her daily walks in the neighborhood. She thought we were doing her a favor by letting her stop but she was actually doing us a favor. It was always a delight to see her sweet, friendly face and to witness the affection and the bond she shared with James.

Lucy was fortunate to have James to love her and to take such good care of her. We will all miss her!!

• June 27, 2020 at 5:38 pm

Losing Lucy is like losing a grandchild. She was a great dog and a best friend to Jim…or as we call him Kief.

We’ll miss you, Lucy, Mark and Regina

• June 28, 2020 at 1:47 pm

Lucy always represented a moment of happiness in our daily routine. She was a gracious soul just her papa Keifer.
    Greg, Patti and Stan Schaub

• June 30, 2020 at 12:29 pm

My husband and I met James recently, days after Lucy’s departure. What a great dad Lucy had.
    Lourdes and Tim Delimitros

• July 4, 2020 at 1:54 pm

Animal Angels Sanctuary in Jacksboro, is the rescue who adopted sweet Lucy to her beloved Papa, directly from our Founder Carole Sanders…although Carole passed in January 2018, she wanted Animal Angels to continue, and today Carole’s Legacy of Love carries on with her mission, providing lifetime care and love for more than 225 dogs and a dozen horses on our no cage/no pen “open campus” of 38 acres with a very secure perimeter fence, which allows our dogs to run free and enjoy independence and dignity throughout the end of their lives. Please follow us on fb: Animal Angels Sanctuary, or http://www.animalangelstexas.org to find out more about our organization. Beth Kelley is our President and you can call her for more information if you would like to help us.