A few more answers to reader questions concerning ACE fees.
Item 6499, miscellaneous/ other expenses (adjusted budget $63,250), can you provide an itemized list of this category?
6499 is the item code for Miscellaneous Operating Costs.
I understand that sometimes the word “miscellaneous” raises questions, so let me explain. Like all Texas school districts, HPISD is required to follow the accounting budget coding system developed by the state. The state requires that we list these expenses under 6499 Miscellaneous Operating Costs. but it is not a “catch-all” category, but rather, a category that allows us to account for legitimate expenditures.
Here is a list of the expenses listed under 6499 for the 2007-08 and 2008-09 school years:
- Fees (ex., tournament entry fees),
- Dues (ex., association dues),
- Food/refreshments for school-related meetings
I am told the itemized list for this category is 350 pages and all coded.
And concerning travel staff expenses, I’m trying to stay focused but it’s hard with the warehouse mention below because I mean how much is the storage facility versus a scanner? But that topic is for another day.
Item 6411 is the item code for employee travel. The way the process works is when coaches travel on business, they are required to submit a travel voucher listing all expenses, which include mileage, meals and lodging. Those vouchers are reviewed and approved by the Business Office, then stored in the warehouse.
UPDATE: After this post was published today, Helen Williams with HPISD sent the following email as an update to the answers above.
Just to clarify, the ACE fees are a revenue source that represents 21-22 percent of the total Athletic Department budget. 6499 is the item code for the Athletic Department’s miscellaneous operating costs (more details below).It’s important to put the ACE fees in context, given the large number of students participating in athletics and the budget that is necessary to run the program. Remember, ACE fees are not subject to recapture by the state, which takes 70 cents of every locally collected tax dollar for redistribution. I have taken some of the information from our earlier conversations. Let me know if you need additional information.
- 2007-08: $1.8 million (ACE fees pay for 22 percent)
- 2008-09: $1.9 million (ACE fees pay for 21 percent)Here are the details on student athletes:
- 2007-08: 1,764 student athletes in grades 7-12
- 2008-09: 1,987 student athletes in grades 7-12I understand that sometimes the word “miscellaneous” raises questions, so let me explain. Like all Texas school districts, HPISD is required to follow the accounting budget coding system developed by the state. The state requires that we list these expenses under 6499 Miscellaneous Operating Costs. 6499 is not a catch-all category, but rather, it is a category that allows us to account for legitimate expenditures.Here is a list of the expenses listed under 6499 (Miscellaneous Operating Costs) for the 2007-08 and 2008-09 school years:. Fees (ex., tournament entry fees). Dues (ex., association dues)
. Food/refreshments for school-related meetings